Friday, November 19, 2010

Coffee, My Adderall.

This week I have rediscovered the magic of coffee.

I forgot how focused I am when I drink a cup of coffee.  Strong coffee.  The kind that is bitter and makes your tongue tingle because it's so strong your tongue doesn't understand the flavor and therefore erupts from too much caffeinated water even remotely touching it.

When I make coffee... my brain awakens from the very thought of the coffee soon entering my body in order to corrupt the way my brain behaves.  The very thought of plugging the coffee pot in (because the Roommate and I are trying to be economical and "green") has conditioned my mouth to water with the imagination of a sweet, sweet, aroma of hazelnut and caramel.

How is "coffee related to me on adderall"; you ask?

Well, let us pretend I am staying up until 3am trying to studying for my devil class (which is really just the worst sociology class on the entirety of this Earth).  The reading material?  Some article about how African Americans started sociology because of some scientific research and something about Darwin.  I have to read all 60 pages by the next day because I procrastinate heavily in this class.  I also have to be able to pull apart random ideas and be able to explain them in class because my professor doesn't have a lesson plan.. ANYWAYS.

I am up super late, with super boring reading, and considering how I want to go to bed everyday at 6pm; this proves to be a super challenge to comprehend anything that is presented in front of me.  Even basic social interactions, such as understanding the Roommate has to learn a billion-and-fifty drugs because she is going to be a nurse or whatever, proves to be a task equivalent to climbing Mt. Everest.  In instances of the Roommate learning, I have massive giggle fits and run back and forth from the futon to her bedroom and jump on top of her on her bed because I do not know how to occupy myself on study breaks.  It will also result from loneliness.

Basically, anything that seems remotely more interesting than my reading will get paid attention to.  Reading a random tangent about kitties sleep walking? 5 hours of attention.  Oligopolies?  Reminiscing about playing Monopoly with the Cousins for 30 minutes.  Distractions GALORE.

After the initial arousal from thinking about making the coffee, I attempt to study as follows:
I make coffee.
Brain starts to be alert and realize it needs to function past 6pm.

I get my coffee and start reading.  

I drink coffee.

I read my material.. FOR 2 HOURS STRAIGHT.

Nothing distracts me.  For the whole 2 hours. (Grant it, I do have a crazy fit and run around like a cow with mad cow disease for maybe 10 or 20 minutes... BUT I am getting work done, and in college that is all that really matters in life.)

I remember what I've read and it is 2am!!!!!!

Completion of homework? A success.

Learning? WIN.

Coffee, I owe you one.  I need you in my life.  My brain cannot function properly without your bitter tasting juices enveloping my tongue with tingling sensations.  Coffee, you are my crack, my ecstasy, but most importantly my adderall.

No comments:

Post a Comment