Monday, November 1, 2010

Harriet The Spy

When I was younger, the movie, "Harriet the Spy" came out on VHS (for those who don't know what that means...those rectangular tape things with windy wheels).  I was as excited as ever to get it and watch it.  I was completely absorbed by it.  I must've watched it 4 times a day.

After a few weeks (or days) I began to believe I, too, could be like Harriet, and be a spy.  I got a notebook like Harriet had in the movie, and found some type of magnifying glass and one of those "double-mirror-do-hickeys".

Whenever I had the chance, I would go be a spy.  What I spied on, who really knew.  I only spied at home or my grandparent's house.  I probably followed my younger brother around, or peered at my grandma from around the corner and watched her make dinner.

I thought I was invisible and the shit, just like Harriet.  I even wrote in my note book like she did.  I wrote down observations that made no sense or were mundane tasks, and finished the entries with " and thats why. I. Am. A. SPY."  Just like Harriet, because I was a cool spy.  Not a fake wanna-be spy.  Posers.

Eventually the phase ended, probably after discovering nothing exciting was occurring during my spying.

That doesn't mean my hardcore and legit spy training couldn't ever make a comeback.  It totally could.  You better watch yourselves.  Know why? Because, I. Am. A. SPY.

No comments:

Post a Comment